Union Stockyards, United Producers Stockyards crucial to Highland County ag business, play vital role in local history
Lead Summary

By
-
By Jim Faust
Highland County Historical Society
Agricultural Outreach Committee
The Highland County Historical Society has focused on a series of articles in 2016 featuring the importance of agriculture.
Two of the most important agricultural businesses in Highland County are the Union Stockyards and the United Producers Stockyards. Hillsboro is one of the very few rural cities in the United States that can boast two efficient and effective livestock marketing agencies. More than 100,000 animals pass through these two facilities each year.
The information included in this article has been collected from historical documents and interviews with Bill and Janet Butler of Union Stockyards and Donnie Everetts and Scott Rittenhouse of United Producers. Both of these agricultural businesses have been strong supporters of the many youth activities throughout the year, including the Highland County Fair.
They have supported nearly every farm organization and community agricultural event over the years. Both are respected as quality agricultural businesses that have an important economic impact on the area.
Livestock flows into Hillsboro from several states each week and the weekly auctions and special sales are a part of the local culture.
Union Stockyards has an interesting history. The original property owner prior to January 1931 was Samuel P. Scott and Elizabeth W. Scott. The land was then deeded upon Samuel Scott’s death to the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia and to Mr. Scott’s widow, Elizabeth Scott of Hillsboro.
On Jan. 15, 1931, the land was sold to James M. Caldwell, Clinton Davis, and Maxine Davis. It was then transferred to the Hillsboro Livestock Sales Company.
On July 31, 1944, Curtis Wilson was duly appointed as receiver of the Hillsboro Livestock Sales company. It was appraised at $19,300 and sold on Sept. 8 with open bidding in Highland County Common Pleas Court. The Court ordered Curtis Wilson to sell it at a private sale for the sum of $25,000.
Bartow Jones of Mason County, West Virginia received a half interest; Herbert Wunder of Hamilton County, Ohio received a fourth interest; and Fred Kirby of Highland County, Ohio received a fourth interest.
A corporation document was filed in October 1944 as the Hillsboro Livestock Company. The corporation’s president was Walter West and Dwight Teegardin was the secretary.
The company leased lots along the B&O Railroad to Long, West and Company. In the early years prior to 1931, livestock was driven on foot to Cincinnati before a market was built in Hillsboro.
On Feb. 21, 1958, the Washington Court House Union Stockyards Company purchased Hillsboro Livestock Company. The original stockholders were Harry McGhee, C. Holland, D.F. Brown, Dean Godden, C.R. Philhower, Doris Kirkpatrick, Arthur Berger, T.C. Mendenhall, William Musser, Lee Salisburg and Dwight Teegardin.
The corporation name changed on Feb. 10, 1959 to the Union Stockyards Company.
Stockholders at that time included John Barnes, William Nace, Robert Mace, Ralph Shanks, Dwight Teegardin, William Meuser, N.B. Fannin, Ralph Stitt and John O’Conner.
On Oct. 9, 1961, the Harry Sauner Farm was leased for backgrounding cattle.
The Union Stockyards facilities were located in downtown Hillsboro for many years.
On Aug. 23, 1965, a meeting was held to develop a special graded feeder calf sale at Union Stockyards. Highland County Extension Agent Ivor Jones served as temporary chairman until a new slate of officers could be elected. Harry Knauff of the Locust Grove area was elected chairman.
Union Stockyards has been known for its many feeder calf sales since that time. In February 2007, the Union Stockyards moved to its new facilities at 7510 State Route 138 at the northeastern edge of Hillsboro, where it operates today.
(For additional information, go to the website at www.unionstockyards.net or call 937-393-1958.)
On May 26, 1969, William R. Butler from Belmont County, Ohio, moved to Hillsboro and he became the general manager and a stockholder. Other stockholders included William Mace, Frank Helsel, Jerry Nessell and Dr. Ned Abbott.
Mr. Butler has been the general manager since that time and the company is now owned by him. More than $50 million of livestock has passed through the Union Stockyards in one year.
Livestock comes from at least 25 Ohio counties and the neighboring states of Kentucky, West Virginia and Indiana. Weekly auctions are held on Thursdays and special sales are held on Mondays.
Bill and Janet Butler are highly involved in the farm community and their contributions to the area are greatly appreciated.
United Producers Inc. (UPI) was formed by farmers in the early 1930s to try to get a fair price for their livestock and to provide needed services to the farmer members.
UPI was originally named Producers Cooperative Commission Association and was formed in 1934 by the merger of Eastern Order Buying Company, Producers Livestock Credit Association, and the livestock markets in Pittsburgh, Columbus, and Cleveland.
Eastern Order Buying Company and Producers Livestock Credit Association continued as subsidiaries of the new parent company. In 1943, the name was changed to Producers Livestock Cooperative Association. Thirteen markets were purchased in 1946 from an individual named Dr. Sharon.
In 1956, the name became Producers Livestock Association. Cincinnati Livestock Producers’ Association merged with Producers Livestock Association in 1962. This action brought in another six markets making a total of nineteen markets involved.
Today, there are approximately 40 sale barns and collection points that have at least 3 million head of livestock passing through the system each year. UPI in Hillsboro was originally part of the Cincinnati Livestock Producers Association.
In October 1999, Producers Livestock Association and MFA Livestock Association (Missouri) merged together producing a new parent company named United Producers, Inc. With the unification of these two organizations, a governing Board of Directors was established along with a delegate system.
Today, the Board of Directors is comprised of 16 livestock farmer directors, each representing a district within UPI’s territory, and up to two at-large directors. The delegates, who are elected by the members, elect the directors. Craig Adams of the Leesburg area currently serves as state board chairman.
In 2001, UPI acquired the assets of Interstate Producers Livestock Association (Illinois) and Michigan Livestock Exchange (Michigan, Indiana, and Kentucky) which was operating as a division of Southern States Cooperative. United Producers Inc. continues to provide a variety of livestock marketing and credit and risk management services and it does approximately one billion dollars in sales each year.
The Producers Livestock Association (PLA) in Hillsboro began in the 1940s with a daily hog market. Hogs were loaded onto rail cars and shipped east. Over the years, lamb pools and veal calves became an important part of the markets.
In 1956, the current structure at Hillsboro was built and the first auction in the arena was held on April 1, 1957. Bill Cornelius was manager from 1957-71, and Willie Gruelle served from 1971-83. Donnie Everetts became the manager in 1983 and he served until 2006. Logan Edenfield, Randy Morgensen and Scott Rittenhouse have recently held the managerial position with Scott currently serving as manager.
Producers Livestock Association in Hillsboro was highly involved in the development of the Southern Ohio Feeder Pig Association. Thousands of graded feeder pigs passed through the arena from the year 1959 through the mid-1990s. Feeder calf sales also became a major part of the business and PLA in Hillsboro held its first graded feeder calf sale in 1957.
Since the original structure was built, there have been some major additions. A feed handling and livestock storage area was added and another feeder cattle holding facility was added later. A new sale arena for hogs, sheep, and goats was also added.
This arena permits the main sale arena to be used entirely for cattle and other large animals so that both types of sales can be held concurrently.
The Hillsboro facilities handle an average of 22,000 cattle, 28,000 hogs and 11,500 sheep and goats each year. Weekly general auctions are held on Mondays and special sales are also held on Mondays.
For a list of special sales, visit www.uproducers.com. The facilities are located at 976 W. Main Street on the western edge of Hillsboro. The phone number is 937-393-3424.
UPI is a member-driven livestock cooperative where anyone who utilizes UPI’s services can become a member.
All those interested in learning more about the Preferred Member program are invited to contact the Hillsboro office or visit the website listed above. UPI has been a major player in the farm economy for many years. It has been an important contributor to the community and its involvement is greatly appreciated.
(Special thanks to John Kellis, HCHS)
Highland County Historical Society
Agricultural Outreach Committee
The Highland County Historical Society has focused on a series of articles in 2016 featuring the importance of agriculture.
Two of the most important agricultural businesses in Highland County are the Union Stockyards and the United Producers Stockyards. Hillsboro is one of the very few rural cities in the United States that can boast two efficient and effective livestock marketing agencies. More than 100,000 animals pass through these two facilities each year.
The information included in this article has been collected from historical documents and interviews with Bill and Janet Butler of Union Stockyards and Donnie Everetts and Scott Rittenhouse of United Producers. Both of these agricultural businesses have been strong supporters of the many youth activities throughout the year, including the Highland County Fair.
They have supported nearly every farm organization and community agricultural event over the years. Both are respected as quality agricultural businesses that have an important economic impact on the area.
Livestock flows into Hillsboro from several states each week and the weekly auctions and special sales are a part of the local culture.
Union Stockyards has an interesting history. The original property owner prior to January 1931 was Samuel P. Scott and Elizabeth W. Scott. The land was then deeded upon Samuel Scott’s death to the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia and to Mr. Scott’s widow, Elizabeth Scott of Hillsboro.
On Jan. 15, 1931, the land was sold to James M. Caldwell, Clinton Davis, and Maxine Davis. It was then transferred to the Hillsboro Livestock Sales Company.
On July 31, 1944, Curtis Wilson was duly appointed as receiver of the Hillsboro Livestock Sales company. It was appraised at $19,300 and sold on Sept. 8 with open bidding in Highland County Common Pleas Court. The Court ordered Curtis Wilson to sell it at a private sale for the sum of $25,000.
Bartow Jones of Mason County, West Virginia received a half interest; Herbert Wunder of Hamilton County, Ohio received a fourth interest; and Fred Kirby of Highland County, Ohio received a fourth interest.
A corporation document was filed in October 1944 as the Hillsboro Livestock Company. The corporation’s president was Walter West and Dwight Teegardin was the secretary.
The company leased lots along the B&O Railroad to Long, West and Company. In the early years prior to 1931, livestock was driven on foot to Cincinnati before a market was built in Hillsboro.
On Feb. 21, 1958, the Washington Court House Union Stockyards Company purchased Hillsboro Livestock Company. The original stockholders were Harry McGhee, C. Holland, D.F. Brown, Dean Godden, C.R. Philhower, Doris Kirkpatrick, Arthur Berger, T.C. Mendenhall, William Musser, Lee Salisburg and Dwight Teegardin.
The corporation name changed on Feb. 10, 1959 to the Union Stockyards Company.
Stockholders at that time included John Barnes, William Nace, Robert Mace, Ralph Shanks, Dwight Teegardin, William Meuser, N.B. Fannin, Ralph Stitt and John O’Conner.
On Oct. 9, 1961, the Harry Sauner Farm was leased for backgrounding cattle.
The Union Stockyards facilities were located in downtown Hillsboro for many years.
On Aug. 23, 1965, a meeting was held to develop a special graded feeder calf sale at Union Stockyards. Highland County Extension Agent Ivor Jones served as temporary chairman until a new slate of officers could be elected. Harry Knauff of the Locust Grove area was elected chairman.
Union Stockyards has been known for its many feeder calf sales since that time. In February 2007, the Union Stockyards moved to its new facilities at 7510 State Route 138 at the northeastern edge of Hillsboro, where it operates today.
(For additional information, go to the website at www.unionstockyards.net or call 937-393-1958.)
On May 26, 1969, William R. Butler from Belmont County, Ohio, moved to Hillsboro and he became the general manager and a stockholder. Other stockholders included William Mace, Frank Helsel, Jerry Nessell and Dr. Ned Abbott.
Mr. Butler has been the general manager since that time and the company is now owned by him. More than $50 million of livestock has passed through the Union Stockyards in one year.
Livestock comes from at least 25 Ohio counties and the neighboring states of Kentucky, West Virginia and Indiana. Weekly auctions are held on Thursdays and special sales are held on Mondays.
Bill and Janet Butler are highly involved in the farm community and their contributions to the area are greatly appreciated.
United Producers Inc. (UPI) was formed by farmers in the early 1930s to try to get a fair price for their livestock and to provide needed services to the farmer members.
UPI was originally named Producers Cooperative Commission Association and was formed in 1934 by the merger of Eastern Order Buying Company, Producers Livestock Credit Association, and the livestock markets in Pittsburgh, Columbus, and Cleveland.
Eastern Order Buying Company and Producers Livestock Credit Association continued as subsidiaries of the new parent company. In 1943, the name was changed to Producers Livestock Cooperative Association. Thirteen markets were purchased in 1946 from an individual named Dr. Sharon.
In 1956, the name became Producers Livestock Association. Cincinnati Livestock Producers’ Association merged with Producers Livestock Association in 1962. This action brought in another six markets making a total of nineteen markets involved.
Today, there are approximately 40 sale barns and collection points that have at least 3 million head of livestock passing through the system each year. UPI in Hillsboro was originally part of the Cincinnati Livestock Producers Association.
In October 1999, Producers Livestock Association and MFA Livestock Association (Missouri) merged together producing a new parent company named United Producers, Inc. With the unification of these two organizations, a governing Board of Directors was established along with a delegate system.
Today, the Board of Directors is comprised of 16 livestock farmer directors, each representing a district within UPI’s territory, and up to two at-large directors. The delegates, who are elected by the members, elect the directors. Craig Adams of the Leesburg area currently serves as state board chairman.
In 2001, UPI acquired the assets of Interstate Producers Livestock Association (Illinois) and Michigan Livestock Exchange (Michigan, Indiana, and Kentucky) which was operating as a division of Southern States Cooperative. United Producers Inc. continues to provide a variety of livestock marketing and credit and risk management services and it does approximately one billion dollars in sales each year.
The Producers Livestock Association (PLA) in Hillsboro began in the 1940s with a daily hog market. Hogs were loaded onto rail cars and shipped east. Over the years, lamb pools and veal calves became an important part of the markets.
In 1956, the current structure at Hillsboro was built and the first auction in the arena was held on April 1, 1957. Bill Cornelius was manager from 1957-71, and Willie Gruelle served from 1971-83. Donnie Everetts became the manager in 1983 and he served until 2006. Logan Edenfield, Randy Morgensen and Scott Rittenhouse have recently held the managerial position with Scott currently serving as manager.
Producers Livestock Association in Hillsboro was highly involved in the development of the Southern Ohio Feeder Pig Association. Thousands of graded feeder pigs passed through the arena from the year 1959 through the mid-1990s. Feeder calf sales also became a major part of the business and PLA in Hillsboro held its first graded feeder calf sale in 1957.
Since the original structure was built, there have been some major additions. A feed handling and livestock storage area was added and another feeder cattle holding facility was added later. A new sale arena for hogs, sheep, and goats was also added.
This arena permits the main sale arena to be used entirely for cattle and other large animals so that both types of sales can be held concurrently.
The Hillsboro facilities handle an average of 22,000 cattle, 28,000 hogs and 11,500 sheep and goats each year. Weekly general auctions are held on Mondays and special sales are also held on Mondays.
For a list of special sales, visit www.uproducers.com. The facilities are located at 976 W. Main Street on the western edge of Hillsboro. The phone number is 937-393-3424.
UPI is a member-driven livestock cooperative where anyone who utilizes UPI’s services can become a member.
All those interested in learning more about the Preferred Member program are invited to contact the Hillsboro office or visit the website listed above. UPI has been a major player in the farm economy for many years. It has been an important contributor to the community and its involvement is greatly appreciated.
(Special thanks to John Kellis, HCHS)