Highland County Retired Teachers Association funds Union Schools marker
Lead Summary

By
-
By Pamela Nickell
HCP columnist
The Highland County Retired Teachers Association has funded a plaque identifying the Union Schools stone which is now part of the back wall of the Highland House Museum.
Shortly after the Highland County Historical Society was restructured in October 2013, it was discovered that the massive back wall was separating from the foundation and in danger of collapse.
While it was being taken down and rebuilt by contracting engineer Brad Tira and bricklayer Wayne Dance, it was determined to install right into the wall a massive Union Schools stone slab which had been propped up against the building in the back yard.
Some research by the new board found that the slab had been donated to the Society by Larry Snoddy some years after he and his father had purchased it from the auction of a Mr. Welch who had demolished Union School to make way for Webster School. (See HCP, June 13, 2015)
Everyone quickly noted that the stone slab looked beautiful in the antique brick wall, but some concern was expressed that it might cause a misconception that the Highland House was once the school. A solution of adding an identifying plaque was discussed and agreed upon with the need to seek out a donor for the plaque.
Upon presentation to the Highland County Retired Teachers Association, a quick positive response and vote to fund the plaque resulted. Along with the association itself, donations were received from individual members and the Bright Local Alumni Association.
The plaque was created by Harsha Monuments.
John Glaze worded the plaque as follows:
“EARLY EDUCATION IN HIGHLAND COUNTY – Tracing the beginning of education in any area can be challenging and Highland County is no different. The Land Ordinance of 1785 was the first document to address public education; and the statute which governed the Northwest Territory, the Ordinance of 1787, provided that 'Religion, morality, and knowledge being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means of education shall forever be encouraged.' Soon after a new settlement was established, a school would be set up, usually in a home. In the 1800s and early 1900s, one-room school buildings in the county numbered more than 150, with schools located about five miles apart so that any student could attend school within two and a half miles of his home.
“The first school in the Greenfield area was in the log cabin of Judge James Moody, having been started to educate his nine children. In 1810, the first building for school purposes, a log structure, was located on Lot 16 on the northeast corner of North and Washington Streets. Also in 1810, we find a log cabin on South High Street in Hillsboro providing space for school by subscription.
“Governor Allen Trimble of Hillsboro is credited with founding the school system of Ohio. In 1822, he established a commission to study the feasibility of creating common, or public schools in Ohio. Bowing to public pressure, the Ohio Legislature passed a .5-mill tax on property to fund public education in 1825.
“In 1868, Union School opened in Hillsboro with approximately 410 pupils. The stone to the left can be seen in the above photograph between the second and third stories of the school. It was donated to the Highland County Historical Society by Larry Snoddy.
“The plaque is provided by Highland County Retired Teachers who have labored for education in this county and in honor of those who have retired and those who continue to teach."
In addition to this wording, a picture of Union School showing the stone is etched into the plaque.
The Highland County Historical Society survives and thrives on the gifts, trust and support of the many donors to its effort.
HCP columnist
The Highland County Retired Teachers Association has funded a plaque identifying the Union Schools stone which is now part of the back wall of the Highland House Museum.
Shortly after the Highland County Historical Society was restructured in October 2013, it was discovered that the massive back wall was separating from the foundation and in danger of collapse.
While it was being taken down and rebuilt by contracting engineer Brad Tira and bricklayer Wayne Dance, it was determined to install right into the wall a massive Union Schools stone slab which had been propped up against the building in the back yard.
Some research by the new board found that the slab had been donated to the Society by Larry Snoddy some years after he and his father had purchased it from the auction of a Mr. Welch who had demolished Union School to make way for Webster School. (See HCP, June 13, 2015)
Everyone quickly noted that the stone slab looked beautiful in the antique brick wall, but some concern was expressed that it might cause a misconception that the Highland House was once the school. A solution of adding an identifying plaque was discussed and agreed upon with the need to seek out a donor for the plaque.
Upon presentation to the Highland County Retired Teachers Association, a quick positive response and vote to fund the plaque resulted. Along with the association itself, donations were received from individual members and the Bright Local Alumni Association.
The plaque was created by Harsha Monuments.
John Glaze worded the plaque as follows:
“EARLY EDUCATION IN HIGHLAND COUNTY – Tracing the beginning of education in any area can be challenging and Highland County is no different. The Land Ordinance of 1785 was the first document to address public education; and the statute which governed the Northwest Territory, the Ordinance of 1787, provided that 'Religion, morality, and knowledge being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means of education shall forever be encouraged.' Soon after a new settlement was established, a school would be set up, usually in a home. In the 1800s and early 1900s, one-room school buildings in the county numbered more than 150, with schools located about five miles apart so that any student could attend school within two and a half miles of his home.
“The first school in the Greenfield area was in the log cabin of Judge James Moody, having been started to educate his nine children. In 1810, the first building for school purposes, a log structure, was located on Lot 16 on the northeast corner of North and Washington Streets. Also in 1810, we find a log cabin on South High Street in Hillsboro providing space for school by subscription.
“Governor Allen Trimble of Hillsboro is credited with founding the school system of Ohio. In 1822, he established a commission to study the feasibility of creating common, or public schools in Ohio. Bowing to public pressure, the Ohio Legislature passed a .5-mill tax on property to fund public education in 1825.
“In 1868, Union School opened in Hillsboro with approximately 410 pupils. The stone to the left can be seen in the above photograph between the second and third stories of the school. It was donated to the Highland County Historical Society by Larry Snoddy.
“The plaque is provided by Highland County Retired Teachers who have labored for education in this county and in honor of those who have retired and those who continue to teach."
In addition to this wording, a picture of Union School showing the stone is etched into the plaque.
The Highland County Historical Society survives and thrives on the gifts, trust and support of the many donors to its effort.