Friends of the Highland County Dog Pound lists available dogs and puppies for week of Sept. 25
Top row, l-r: Gabby, Champ, Sebastian; center row, l-r: Hank, Nova, Dakota; bottom row, l-r: Riley, Tiny and Axel. (Submitted photos)
The Highland County Dog Pound has the following dogs available for adoption or rescue pulls as of Sept. 25, listed courtesy of the Friends of the Highland County Dog Pound.
Pull transport date is Sept. 28.
(1) Gabby: Gabby is a mixed breed dog, and she weighs 60 lbs. She is very loving and gets so excited to see you she wants to jump and give you kisses. She is good with other dogs.
(2) Champ: Champ is a pit mix, and boy is he strong, and he weighs 48 lbs. He is a very pretty tan color with white on his chest. We don’t know what Champ had to go through before he came to the shelter but we do know that he is not OK with any dogs and would be good for a home where he was the only dog.
(3) Sabastian: We think Sabastian is a Jack Russell mixed with some boxer. We don’t think he will get any bigger than what he is, he weighs 35 lbs. We are estimating him to be around 10 months old. He is fine with other dogs. He was a little tired out here.
(4) Hank: Hank was owner-surrendered, and we think he is a boxer mix. He weighs 78 lbs. He is very loving to people, but he is not good with SMALL dogs. With larger dogs, he would be fine.
(5) Nova: Nova came in as a stray that was not very well taken care of, but she is doing way better and developing such a lovely personality. We believe she is a Doberman mix, and she weighs 29 lbs. She is good with other dogs here at the pound. Good girl.
(6) Dakota: Dakota is a mixed breed who is estimated to be about 6 months old. He weighs 31 lbs. at the moment. He is also very friendly and loves to play outside with the other puppies. He is a handsome brindle, and he does real well on a lead. Sweety guy.
(7) Riley: Riley is a Jack Russell terrier and boxer mix who weighs 35 pounds. He is a good boy who loves our attention. Riley does have his tail docked. It was like that when we got him and his 6 siblings in. He is fine with other dogs.
(8) Tiny: Tiny was brought to us as a stray and is an adult male mixed-breed dog. Tiny weighs 26 pounds and is not neutered. Good-looking guy.
(9) Axel: Axel is a male beagle who is not fixed. We think he is about 6-8 years old, and he weighs 26 lbs. Axel is a hunting dog and we know that he was used for hunting. He was a stray and his owner was notified but has never come to get him. He really is the sweetest guy.
(10) Oatis: Oatis is a sweet pit mix who is approximately 2-3 years old and he weighs 42 pounds. He seems to do fine with other dogs as he does not really pay attention to them.
(11) Terry: We are not sure what breed he is other than he is some kind of wire-haired terrier mix. He is very loving to people, but when it comes to dogs he might stand and make a growling noise. We think Terry is about 5-6 years old, and he weighs 35 lbs. He was so very calm when the volunteers removed the briers covering his face and head.
(12) Jade: Jade is one of a kind with her beautiful one brown and one bright blue eye. She is a German shepherd/husky mix who is estimated at 1-2 years old and weighs 53 lbs. From what we can tell, Jade does not like other dogs.
(13) Wilbur: Wilbur is a mix who is about 10 years old. He is very much an old soul who is so calm and easygoing. He weighs 52 lbs. but needs to gain some weight still. Wilbur does have a skin condition at the moment he is getting meds for to try and help his hair grow back. He has been flea- and tick-treated along with his DAPP 5-way and booster.
(14) Wesley: Wesley is a redbone/hound mix who weighs about 45 lbs. He is very energetic and does fine with dogs outside of his kennel.
(15) Aubrey: We are thinking Aubrey is a beagle mix. She is very sweet but shy. She weighs about 40 lbs. and does fine with other dogs.
(16) Clare: Clare came to us as a stray along with maybe a brother who looks very much like her. Most of you have probably seen the before pictures of her where she had so much hair. We were able to get them into the groomer, and oh my goodness, they look so much better and they are so much happier. Clare is a Bernedoodle who is about 2-3 years old and weighs 52 lbs. Clare's brother has been adopted, which makes her very sad.
(17) Bella: Bella is around 3 years old and weighs 52 lbs. She is a very sweet girl who desperately needs to find someone to love her as she is not doing the greatest in a kennel environment. Bella is very depressed being in a kennel. We are letting her out as much as possible, and that seems to make her a little more happy.
(18) Blackie: Blackie was a stray and when he came in he had what they call a cherry eye. The vets gave him eye drops to maybe help but they said he is not in pain and is just blind in that eye. Blackie weighs 56 pounds. He is a very sweet boy. He has been good with the other dogs here.
(19) Boomer: Boomer came in as a stray. He is a pit bull but is the sweetest boy, and he weighs 47 lbs. He is neutered and when he sees you he gives the biggest smile. He's definitely smiling at you! He has been good with the other dogs here.
(20) Colby: We think Colby is a Jack Russell mixed with some boxer. He is full of muscle so he is strong and he weighs 36 lbs., but we don’t think he will get any bigger than what he is. We are estimating him to be around 10 months old. He is fine with other dogs.
(21) Puppy female #1: Female #1 Mixed Breed has had first vaccine and been dewormed. 9 weeks old.
(22) Puppy female #2: Female #2 Mixed Breed has had first vaccine and been dewormed. 9 weeks old.
(23) Puppy male #2: Male #2 Mixed Breed has had first vaccine and been dewormed. 9 weeks old.
(24) Puppy male #3: Male #3 Mixed Breed has had first vaccine and been dewormed. 9 weeks old.
(25) Scout: Scout is a Hound Mix who came to us as a stray. He's around 8 years old and weighs 55lbs. Scout is vocal and definitely sounds like your normal hound. He seems fine with other dogs.
(26) Knox: Knox is around 6 months old and weighs around 16 lbs. Knox is also very vocal and just wants everyone's attention to be on him. He is fine with other dogs as he wants to play with everyone.
(27) Otis: Otis came to us after a volunteer from our group found him. Otis is estimated around 3 years old and at 50+ pounds. He was taken to the vet for an injury on one of his back legs. The vet said it must of been an old injury that didn't heal correctly, but it doesn't really bother him too much. He just favors it a little sometimes, and he is able to get around just fine.
(28) Winston: We think Winston might be a Lab mix. He is about 1-2 years old and weighs 46 lbs. He definitely has a lot of energy but is a sweet boy who loves people. He appears to be fine with other dogs.
(29) Maddie: Maddie came to us as an owner surrender due to her starting fights with their female dog, although the owner did say she does fine with their Great Dane. Maddie is 4 years old and is listed as a pit/Doberman mix. Owner said Maddie is spayed, and she has been around cats and kids and loves car rides. Maddie has had to have surgery on her legs from that fight, and she lost a tooth also.
(30) Toby: Toby came to us as a stray. He is about 6 years old and weighs 31lbs. He is vocal but seems to be a good boy. He seems to be fine with dogs. Toby's old owners must have docked his tail because he only has about 1/2 of his tail left.
(31) Target: Target is a bull terrier who is about 2 years old and weighs about 35 lbs. Target is one of the sweetest dogs ever. He has gotten along with all the dogs he's come in contact with and is especially good with people; within 10 seconds he will be your best friend. Target has been here before and then was adopted out, then dumped him off on the side of the road, and now he is back at the pound. If you can find it in your heart to give this loving boy a forever home, you won't regret it. He definitely deserves it after all he's been through.
(32) Fat Albert: Fat Albert is a very old neutered guy who is very overweight who weighs around 130 lbs. The vet has come out to see him and says that Albert is fine, he just has a lot of fatty tissue on him. The vet recommended we keep him outside, so he is currently staying outside where he is able to move around much better than being cramped in a kennel.
If you are interested in any of these dogs/puppies from the Highland County Dog Pound, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org at your earliest convenience.
To pull a dog or puppy you must be an approved rescue, please contact us at the same email as stated above for information on getting approved.
At this time, pull fees are being covered for all pulled dogs by donations from Friends Of The Highland County Dog Pound:
• $10 per adult, $20 per litter. $5 vaccine charge for each dog.
• Pull fees MUST be paid before transport or the dog will not be sent.
• Please PayPal pull fees to email@example.com.
• Please PayPal vaccine fees to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• We can take dogs to the vet as long as a credit card has been called in, if you would like us to vet a dog, please contact for further information.
• Heartworm tests can be done if asked for, but we must have rescue commitment before hand, and credit card has been called in as above for general vetting.
• Dogs are vaccinated for parvo and distemper upon intake and boosted.
We do our best to test the dogs in our care and learn all we can about them, but cannot guarantee temperament or health. Many of the dogs we have came in as strays with unknown histories. We cannot guarantee we will have people available to transport or take dogs to the vet, but will always make every effort to contact you if there is a problem.
The Friends Of The Highland County Dog Pound may be able to help with your spay/neuter cost; please ask us.
Follow Friends of the Highland County Dog Pound on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/friendsofthehighlandcountydogpound.
Follow the Highland County Dog Warden at https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090788996457.