The McClain wrestling team finished a brutal week of competition with their third and final wrestling meet of the week Saturday at the Washington C.H. Bracket Tournament.

The tournament consisted of 19 teams in what was a double-elimination tournament with the top three teams receiving trophies.

Steubenville won the tournament, and Germantown Valley View were the runners-up. Upper Arlington received the third-place trophy, and the McClain Tigers finished one place out of a trophy in fourth place, and one spot ahead of Pickerington Central, who rounded out the top five teams.

Frontier Athletic Conference (FAC) members Washington and Jackson also competed in the event. Washington finished tied for ninth place with Ponitz, and Jackson finished in 11th place overall.

McClain freshman Kade Rawlins led the way for the Tigers, going 3-0 on the day and winning the 220-pound weight class. Rawlins entered the tournament as the No. 2 seed, plus he received a bye in round one.

In the quarterfinals, Rawlins pinned David Strong of Jackson in the second period. Rawlins’ opponent in the semifinals was the No. 3 seed, Joshua Johnson of Springfield Greenon. Rawlins faced Johnson earlier in the year at the McClain Tiger Invitational, winning that earlier match by a 4-3 score. This time around, Rawlins distanced himself from Johnson in the second match by winning a 7-2 decision. In the finals, Rawlins’ opponent was the No. 1 seed, Perry Gardiner of Germantown Valley View, and the McClain freshman won a tough 4-2 decision, earning his second tournament championship of the season.

Lucas Jansen (106 pounds) entered the tournament as the No. 5 seed in his weight class. Jansen received a bye in round one, then in the quarterfinals, Jansen lost by pin to the No. 4 seeded Bo Branson of Pickerington Central.

In the second round of consolations, Jansen received a forfeit due to his Valley View opponent not making weight. In the consolation quarterfinals, Jansen pinned former McClain wrestler Courtney Walker, who now wrestles for Washington, in 30 seconds.

In the consolation semifinals, Jourdain Mckeen of Bellefontaine Benjamin Logan fell victim by pin to Jansen, and in the consolation finals, Jansen faced Branson of Pickerington Central for the second time, with the same result, losing by pin. For the day, Jansen finished 3-2 for the tournament and received a fourth-place medal.

Dawson Jansen (126) entered the tournament as the sixth seed. Jansen received a bye in round one, and in the quarterfinals, he faced off against the No. 3 seeded wrestler, Tristan Hostetter of Piqua, with Hostetter winning by pin in the second period. Jansen received a bye in the second round of the consolations. In the consolation quarterfinals, Jansen was put out of the tournament by Holden Walters of Pickerington Central, finishing 0-2 on the day.

Wrestling at 132 pounds for the Tigers was Quinton Smith, and he entered the tournament as the No. 6 seeded wrestler in his weight class. In round one, Smith faced off against Upper Arlington's backup wrestler and lost by pin in the second period. In the first round of the consolations, Smith received a bye. The second round of consolations saw Smith face Upper Arlington's starter, No. 5 seeded, Joey Orlando, with Orlando winning a 6-3 decision, putting Smith out of the tournament after going 0-2 on the day.

Jake Krafthefer of McClain (138 pounds) pinned Justin Day of Gallipolis Gallia Academy in the first round. In the quarterfinals, Jake faced off against top-seeded Anthony Rice of Steubenville with Rice winning the match by pin, sending Krafthefer to the consolation bracket.

In the second round of consolations, Krafthefer pinned backup wrestler Jayson Dixon of Jackson. In his next match, Travis Hall, the No. 4 seed, put Krafthefer out of the tournament by a technical fall. Krafthefer finished the tournament at 2-2, scoring valuable team points.

At 145 pounds, Jacob Barton of McClain started off the tournament with a pin against Jackson's backup wrestler Jordan Davis. In his next match, second-seeded Steele Boysel of Benjamin Logan pinned Barton and sent him to the consolation bracket.

Mason McHugh of Upper Arlington knocked Barton out of the tournament with a pin, as Barton scored team points and finished 1-2 in the tournament.

At 152 pounds, McClain got their second of six placers.

In the 152-pound bracket, Keegan Rawlins of MHS entered as the No. 2 seed, and in round one, Keegan Rawlins pinned Athens backup wrestler Greg List.

Rawlins’ second opponent was Jackson's backup wrestler Aaron Whistler, and the MHS wrestler also won that match by pin. In the semifinals, Rawlins squared off against two-time state alternate, Zane Nelson of Washington. Earlier in the season, Rawlins defeated Nelson in the FAC duals by a 2-1 score. This time, Nelson gained the upper hand, winning a 3-1 match that went into overtime.

In the consolation bracket, No. 4 seeded Caleb Cox of Valley View fell victim to a Keegan Rawlins first-period pin. In the consolation finals, No. 5 seeded Greg Campbell of Ponitz felt the grind of getting beat by a 12-1 major decision by Rawlins. Rawlins finished 4-1 on the day, which was good for third place.

Zane Bode (160) received a bye in round one for the Tigers. In the second round, top-seeded Mark Trifelos of Upper Arlington showed his power with a quick first-period pin. In the consolation round, Bode fared better but still came up short on a 9-0 major decision to Henry Myers of Benjamin Logan. Bode got knocked out of the tournament at 0-2.

Phil Waters entered the tournament as the No. 6 seeded wrestler in the 170-pound class. In round one, Waters won by pin over Brendon Graham of Jackson. Third-seeded Silas Pearson won a major decision 16-8 over Waters in the next round, knocking him into the consolation rounds.

Waters pinned Garret Henry of Benjamin Logan in his first consolation match, and then Andrew Mullins of Gallia Academy was Waters’ next victim, when this match also ended with a pin.

No. 4 seeded Hunter Ernst of Valley View lost a close decision to Waters, 4-2, as that was Waters’ fifth match of the day, the maximum allowed number. Waters was not allowed to wrestle in his placement match, thus settling for the fourth-place medal. Waters went 4-1 on the day, and he also joined the 20-win club on the team, moving to 22-12 on the season.

McClain had two wrestlers in the 182-pound class. Kyler Trefz was the point-scoring starter, and Justin Kegley entered the tournament to knock other teams out of potential team points.

Trefz entered the tournament as the No. 5 seed, and he started off his tournament by avenging a loss by pin to Drake George of Athens during the State Final Four of Region 14, which was held on Wednesday. This time, Trefz won a 5-4 decision.

In the semifinals, Holden Freeman of Upper Arlington pinned Trefz, sending him to the consolation bracket. In the consolation bracket, Trefz beat Jackson's backup wrestler, Jamarus Keels, 8-2. In the consolation finals, Trefz received a forfeit as Collier Brown of Washington had previously wrestled his fifth match and was not allowed to wrestle a sixth, allowing Trefz finish in third place, going 3-1 on the day.

McClain's backup wrestler, Justin Kegley, started off the 182-pound tournament with a bang. In the first round, he pinned No. 2 seeded Kole Gravos of Greenon in the second period. In the second round, Christian Meyers of Valley View defeated Kegley by a major decision, 21-8, knocking him into the consolation bracket.

Kegley picked up his second win by disqualification over Hezekiah Scurry of Steubenville. Kegley was knocked out of the tournament by injury default when he failed to compete against Keels of Jackson. Kegley was a non-point scorer, but he was able to collect two wins against Greenon and Steubenville and kept those teams from collecting team points.

At 195 pounds, Ethan Taylor entered the tournament as the No. 2 seed. In round one, he pinned Bryce Short of Piqua, and then Taylor advanced to the semifinals with another pin, this time against Garrett Jepson of Upper Arlington.

Taylor lost a 5-2 decision to third seeded Keith Bodnar of Steubenville in the semifinals. In the consolation bracket, Taylor pinned Athens wrestler Mikel Casteel for the second time this week. In the finals, Taylor faced off against No. 5 seeded Levi Morrison of Greenon. These two wrestled in the finals of the McClain Tiger Invitational earlier in the season, as Taylor won the earlier match by decision. This time, Taylor showed signs of improvement through the season, as he won this time by a 18-2 technical fall, finishing 4-1 on the day and in third place. He also eclipsed the 30-win mark on the season and now stands at 31-8.

In the 285 pound class, Kai Borrelli of McClain lost by pin in the first round to Trent Wilson of Valley View. In the consolation bracket, Jacob Tope of Athens put Borrelli out of the tournament with a pin. Borrelli finished on the day at 0-2.

The Tigers return to action on Saturday, Feb. 10 when they travel to Miami Trace High School for the inaugural FAC tournament. This tournament will decide individual FAC weight class champions and also the overall FAC team champion. McClain and Miami Trace are tied at the top of the league standings, as they both were dual meet co-champions at 4-1.