McClain's Bri Weller, Payton Pryor and Jaelyn Pitzer battle on defense against Washington in their FAC game, Saturday at MHS. (HCP Photos/Stephen Forsha)
McClain's Bri Weller, Payton Pryor and Jaelyn Pitzer battle on defense against Washington in their FAC game, Saturday at MHS. (HCP Photos/Stephen Forsha)
GREENFIELD — Saturday night was all about Frontier Athletic Conference basketball with the McClain Lady Tigers winning in overtime on their home court by defeating the Washington Lady Blue Lions, 48-44.

McClain’s overtime victory came once regulation ended with the score tied at 40, as Washington forced the overtime period with 22 seconds left in the fourth quarter when Jeleeya Tyree-Smith made a layup after taking the ball the length of the court for the 40-40 score.

Then OT arrived, and the four-minute period began with Kyla Burchett breaking the tie by sinking a 3-pointer with 2:53 left on the clock for a 43-40 score. Burchett led the Lady Tigers with 15 points, including two two-point baskets, two 3-pointers and she was 5-of-5 from the free-throw line.

Washington took the lead back with four straight points off two baskets with under a minute remaining in the game for a 44-43 lead, but McClain had other plans for the final result.

Emma Stegbauer — who totaled 11 points — was fouled with 31.3 left in overtime, and she sank both free-throw opportunities to push the Lady Tigers back in front by a 45-44 score. At the 9.9 mark, the Lady Blue Lions were charged with a traveling call, and once McClain regained possession of the basketball following the call, Burchett went to the free-throw line.

At the free-throw line, Burchett made the first attempt, and when the second shot bounced off the rim, McClain freshman Payton Pryor battled for the rebound and put-back basket for a four-point MHS advantage with seconds remaining for the 48-44 win.

“It wasn’t pretty by any stretch of the imagination, but my girls kept battling, especially there at the end to get us into overtime. They fought through overtime, and we did some nice things,” McClain head coach Jarrod Haines said. “The good thing about this game is we know what we need to work on.

“We spread the ball out a lot, and Kyla Burchett got going shooting the ball and had a really good game offensively. Payton Pryor was an animal on the glass. The last rebound was important, and for a freshman to come through in a situation like that, that’s a big deal for us.”

Haines continued to send praise to his team after their second win of the season.

“Emma Stegbauer slowed Shawna Conger down in the second half, and we got into some foul trouble and that slowed us down some. Jaelyn Pitzer had a great defensive night, and Bri Weller just does everything right and sticks us together.

“This was a good team win for us.”

Pryor finished with 14 points in the game, including five two-point baskets, while also going 4-of-4 from the free-throw line in the victory.

In the four regulation quarters, McClain (2-0) and Washington (1-1) both battled closely with both teams tied at 12-12 at the end of the first quarter, followed by McClain leading 20-18 when halftime arrived.

Washington was first to score when Halli Wall sank a 3-pointer, but that was quickly answered with a three-point play from Burchett for a 3-3 score with 7:06 on the first-quarter clock. The Lady Tigers trailed for most of the first quarter, but stayed close. The score ended up tied at 12 when Pryor sank a 3-pointer with 13 seconds on the clock.

McClain didn’t take their first lead until the 3:30 mark of the second frame when Pryor pushed MHS ahead with a layup for a 16-14 score. Before that play, Pryor tied the score at 14 with a put-back basket.

Following a Washington timeout when the score was tied at 14, McClain added to their lead with two converted free throws, and later the Lady Blue Lions sank a long-range jumper from Wall with 2:18 left before halftime. Wall wrapped up the game with 10 points.

The Lady Blue Lions tied the score at 18 following a McClain turnover with a layup by Kaelin Pfeifer with two points off the fast break with 54 seconds remaining in the first half. McClain eventually took the lead with 0.9 on the clock as Burchett made a layup in the paint for what was a 20-18 halftime advantage.

Washington controlled most aspects of the third frame as they outscored McClain, 14-8 in the eight-minute span following halftime. Washington tied the score at 20-20 with 7:05 left in the third. MHS tied the score at 6:42 with a jumper from Burchett, but from there Washington eventually built an eight-point lead — the largest lead of the game — following a jumper by Shawna Conger with 1:09 on the clock. Conger totaled 10 points for Washington.

McClain managed to score the final four points of the third frame with two free throws by Stegbauer and a jumper by Pryor for a 32-28 advantage by the visiting Blue Lions once the third quarter came to a close.

“We didn’t run much of an offense in the third quarter. We didn’t have much continuity there, and we were just standing,” Haines said. “Defensively, we just continued to do the game plan and limit Conger’s touches because she’s a very good basketball player with a high IQ, but she can shoot the ball.

“We had good defense from Stegbauer, Burchett and Pitzer, and they did a good job.”

The Lady Tigers cut the Washington lead to one point with a 3-pointer to start the fourth by Burchett, but the Lady Blue Lions eventually built a five-point lead for a 36-31 advantage following a basket by Conger with 5:58 on the clock.

MHS eventually regained the lead with a put-back basket from Bri Weller, two free-throw conversions by Stegbauer, two free throws made from Pryor and a free-throw conversion by Burchett for a 38-36 lead with 2:21 left in regulation, though the Lady Blue Lions tied the score 20 seconds later with a bucket from Wall.

After a jump ball went to Washington, McClain’s Burchett grabbed the inbounds pass, and then she was fouled with 35.5 left in regulation. Burchett went on to sink both free-throw opportunities to break the tied score at 40-38. The game went into the aforementioned overtime with a basket from Jeleeya Tyree-Smith of Washington as she took the ball the length of the court for a layup for a 40-40 score.

Other final scoring for the Lady Tigers included four points from Jaelyn Pitzer, with a 3-pointer in the first quarter and a free throw in overtime. Also with four points was Weller, with those coming in the second half.

“This was a big win, a big conference win, and I don’t know if most of the girls on this team have ever beaten Court House,” Haines said. “It’s a big win. We are going to enjoy it, we are excited, but we have to keep getting better.

“There are things we have to get better at, and we saw that, but I’m super proud of these kids.”

There was no JV game played.

Next for McClain (2-0) is a non-conference game on Monday, Dec. 2 in Bainbridge against the Paint Valley Lady Bearcats.