(Continued from last week.)

Marshall faced Buford in the championship round of the 1960 Highland County Basketball Tournament.

If the Flashes defeated the Bulldogs, an extra game would have to be scheduled because the Bulldogs would have only one tournament loss.

In a Saturday night battle, Buford jumped out to a 14-5 lead after the first quarter. The Bulldogs were still ahead at the half, 30-19 and after three quarters, 50-37. The teams began to race up and down the court and Marshall began hacking away at the Buford lead. Buford did not slow the game down to preserve their lead.

The game continued with Bill Shaw and Bob Grover ripping the nets for the Flashes. Finally, Marshall tied the score at 65-65 with two and a half minutes remaining on the game clock. The score was tied again at 66-66 before Shaw hit a jumper to make it 68-66.

Kenny Louderback of Buford hit one of two free throws to bring the score to 68-67 with 1:35 to go. The Flashes took the ball and stalled a minute and ten seconds before Joe Wallace fouled Jim Johnson of Marshall. Johnson hit both free throw attempts to make the score 70-67. Louderback then hit a fielder to make it 70-69 with only 15 seconds remaining.

In the next flurry, Marshall’s John Cummings was fouled. He hit both free throw attempts. With only five seconds on the clock, Marshall stood aside and gave Buford clear sailing to the basket. There was no three-point shot in 1960. Louderback missed a layup, and Jim Farquar picked up the rebound and missed another shot underneath as the final buzzer sounded. Marshall had defeated the Bulldogs, 72-69, forcing an extra session.

On Monday night, Coach Glen Sparks’ well-disciplined squad showed some of the power that was their trademark throughout the regular season.

The Flashes opened strong and rolled to a 20-15 lead after one quarter. The Bulldogs came back in the second stanza and took a 34-30 halftime lead.

But the Marshall team caught Buford from behind midway through the third period when they hit four straight unanswered baskets. The Flashes also stiffened their defense, and Buford found it difficult to get good shots. The Marshall team led at the third-quarter rest stop, 49-42.

Bill Shaw, with his one-handed jump shots from around the foul circle, paced the champions with 22 points on 10 field goals and two free throws. Shaw also had several nifty steals. Jim Farquar racked up 19 for the losers.

Marshall hit 30 fielders to Buford’s 23 and added six-of-11 at the free throw line. Buford connected on 5-of-12. Each team was charged with nine fouls in the cleanly played game. So, Marshall takes the county championship and Buford takes the runner-up spot. Both teams will represent the county in the sectional tournament at Piketon.

All-County player selections included: (First Team) Jack Richey (Whiteoak), Jim Farquar (Buford), Bill Shaw (Marshall), Tom Starrett (Fairfield), John Cummings (Marshall). All were seniors except Cummings, who was a sophomore. (Second Team) Junior Smittle (Sinking Spring), Jerry Fields (Belfast), Bill Garman (Sinking Spring), Daryl Purdy (Buford) and Bob Grover (Marshall). Fields and Garman were seniors. Smittle, Purdy and Grover were juniors. (Honorable Mention) Gene Hatfield (Marshall), Sam Snyder (Whiteoak), Charles Newland (Fairfield), Kenny Louderback (Buford) and Kenny Hawk (Lynchburg). Snyder was a sophomore. Hatfield, Newland, Louderback and Hawk were all seniors.

(Continued next week.)

Bob Patton is a Highland County sports historian and a contributing writer to The Highland County Press.