Commissioners hold 2017 organizational meeting; Wilkin voted board chairman
Monday, January 9, 2017 10:59 AM
The Highland County Board of Commissioners held their 2017 organizational meeting Monday, Jan. 9.
By a 2-0 vote following a nomination by Jeff Duncan and a second by Terry Britton, Shane Wilkin was again voted as chairman/president of the board. Wilkin abstained from the vote.
"I would nominate Shane Wilkin as chairman," Duncan said prior to the vote. "Shane has been very good for Highland County. He's led us through some tough economic times, and it looks like we may be looking at some tough times again. Shane is the board chairman of the OVRDC (Ohio Valley Regional Development Commission) and has done a lot of good work for the county in Columbus."
"I second the nomination," Britton said.
Britton then nominated Duncan as the board vice-chair. Wilkin seconded the nomination and the motion passed, 2-0, with Duncan abstaining.
The board also announced its 2017 CDBG (Community Development Block Grant) complaint procedure committee as follows: Katie Adams, complaint officer; Bill Fawley, alternate complaint officer; and Shane Wilkin, alternate.
The board voted to continue its regularly scheduled meetings on Wednesday mornings at the Highland County Administration Building on Gov. Foraker Place in Hillsboro. If Wednesday is a holiday, the board will meet on Thursday.
In other action, commissioners established the board's rules for public comment for their regular and special meetings as follows:
1. Public comment is welcomed by the board. Comments will be entertained on topics and business items that have been discussed at that day’s meeting.
2. A 10-minute session will be allotted to those who wish to speak to the board on other topics, provided that information on the topic to be discussed is presented to the clerk of the board by noon the day preceding the meeting.
3. All other comments and discussions regarding county business, but not relevant to the current meeting, will be welcomed by the commissioners individually after the meeting is adjourned.
"We always try to be as open and accommodating as possible," Wilkin said.
Wilkin also said the board is waiting on a recommendation from the city of Hillsboro for appointment to the county’s new land reutilization corporation (land bank).
As reported last week, commissioners have received a recommendation from the Paint Township trustees to appoint Randy Mustard to the land bank.
The land bank will consist of a director and five board members, as follows: the county treasurer or her appointee, two commissioners or their appointees, one member from the city of Hillsboro and one member from Paint Township.
Commissioners approved the following resolutions, each by a 3-0 vote:
• A resolution to rehire county employees.
• A resolution to agree to set the value of stock killed by dogs to 50 percent of market value.
• A resolution to appoint Terry Britton to the Joint Solid Waste Management District.
• A resolution to appoint CDBG complaint procedure committee.
• A resolution to appoint Tom Horst to the County Visitors Bureau board.
• A resolution to establish meeting days.
• A resolution to set commissioners board members for 2017.
• A resolution to approve travel for commissioners to meetings.
• A resolution to establish a threshold of $5,000 for county blanket purchase orders.
• A resolution to designate Shane Wilkin as CCAO official representative and Jeff Duncan as alternate.
• A resolution to appoint Rhonda Smalley as CORSA Loss Control Coordinator for 2017.